Explosion isolation is an essentila part of complex solutions of explosion protection. It is necessary to combine for example the explosion venting panels on equipment with explosion isolation on inlet or outlet pipes of this equipment.
Fike as a leader in area of explosion protection offers more types of explosion isolation systems.
1. SRD (standard rate discharge)
Chemical isolation of explosion - technique which main goal is to prevent propagation of a flame, which was created during explosion. The process of isolation of explosion on the pipes consists of - detection, initiation and isolation.
SRD system consist of:
- EPACO control cabinet
- SRD container with powder suppressant
- detector - pressure or optical
The system is highly effective. The release of the suppressant starts within a few miliseconds after the detection and sufficient amount of suppressant must be released in time to isolate the explosion successfully. Choice of extinguishing agent and placement/location of system components and other system parameters must be considered carefully for each application, taking into account the speed of propagation of the flame and other important operating conditions.
Simple design of the SRD container without moving parts is perfect for high reliability of the isolation system. Also special applications for pharmaceuticals and food industry are offered.
2. FAV - Fast Acting Valve
Explosion venting and explosion suppression are designed to protect process vessels from overpressurization. Explosion isolation is intended to keep explosions from spreading throughout a process. By isolating the explosion, the effect is limited to the equipment where the explosion initially occurred.
The Fike Explosion Isolation System proceeds through 3 basic sequences to provide successful activation: detection, initiation and closure of the valve.The Fike explosion isolation valve is the critical element in the sequence of successful explosion isolation. The rapid closure provides the physical barrier which prevents flame propagation beyond the isolating valve location.
Features and Benefits
- Bi-directional design makes one valve applicable for stopping explosions from both directions
- Horizontal or vertical use
- Free, non restricting passage; no pressure drop
- The integrated soft sealing results in a clean, leaktight seat
- All parts are designed for low maintenance and easy service
- The Fike explosion isolation valve provides protection against the propagation of dust explosions (including St 3 applications), gases and hybrid mixtures
- Can be equipped with a manually operated pneumatic open/close module, and an open/close position indication
3. Valvex - passive valve
The Fike ValvEx® Passive Explosion Isolation Valve is the new member of the Fike family of passive explosion protection solutions. The ValvEx® Passive Explosion Isolation Valve is specifically designed for explosion protection applications. Several years of dedicated research resulted in unique insights into mechanisms of explosion propagation and efficiency of passive explosion isolation devices.
The ValvEx® Passive Explosion Isolation Valve is designed to prevent flame and pressure propagation through interconnecting pipes, ducts or conveying lines to additional process equipment or operating locations.
The ValvEx® Passive Explosion Isolation Valve consists of a heavy duty coated steel body containing a gate, which pivots around an axle perpendicular to the process flow. In the absence of flow, the gate will be closed. Air flow will open the gate to allow normal process conveyance conditions. When an explosion occurs in the adjacent vessel, the flow will reverse causing the gate to quickly slam shut onto its seat, thereby stopping explosion pressure and flame propagation.
Features and Benefits
- Specifically designed for explosion protection applications
- Minimal pressure drop
- Minimal dead spaces, preventing dust drop out
- Integrated seal
- Self resetting
- Minimum maintenance requirements
- Compact, small installation dimensions
- Designed for low cost of ownership
- Ease of inspection even while in operation
- ATEX certified
- Aids conforming to legal requirements (ATEX, NFPA, ...)
4. I-Flex valve
The Fike I-Flex™ Valve, used in conjunction with other Fike Explosion Protection System components, is designed to provide a user friendly and cost effective means to prevent deflagration propagation through interconnecting pipes or conveying lines to other process equipment or operating locations.
This novel Explosion Protection System is purposely built to meet and exceed users’ expectations and industry standards. It is the most compact explosion isolation system available in today’s market. The valve is simply connected to the standard plant air system and wired to a Fike explosion protection controller. Although simple in operation, the I-Flex™ Valve is designed to provide the highest reliability and meet the most stringent standards with respect to hygiene and safety.
Features and Benefits
- Stops flame, pressure, sparks and embers
- Fast closure
- Reduced installation distance from vessel
- Explosive-free activation
- Uses readily available plant air
- Reset and re-use by plant personnel within seconds
- Can be used as a process valve
- Compact and lightweight
- Proven concept, third party tested and certified (CE, ATEX)
- Wetted parts in conformity with Food Contact Materials Directive
If deflagrations are allowed to propagate through pipes, they have a high probability of being able to transition from a deflagration into a detonation. An explosion diverter limits the effects of explosions propagating through pipes to an acceptable and safe level. While full isolation (flame and pressure) cannot be achieved (*), the diverter will control the explosion as it propagates through the pipe down to a level that allows the use of other protective techniques and to enable the design engineer to use standard industry codes (such as NFPA, EN, VDI) to size the protection systems on the secondary receiving vessel (and the primary vessel).
Features and benefits:
- Passive explosion isolation, does not require detection and control
- Proven and tested concept
- Prevent pressure piling and flame jet ignition
- Currently the only circular vent panel specifically designed and certified for use on Diverters
- Non fragmenting circular explosion vent panel third party approved, tested and ATEX certified
- Easy refurbishment, replace vent
- Rupture indicator to sense opening of vent panel, initiate process shutdown
- Flanged to suit site requirements
- Weather cover and insulation available on request
6. Rotary valves certified according to EN 15089
Another way how to stop the propagation through the industrial processes is to use rotary valve. This rotary valve must be certified according to EN 15089 and then it can be used as a explosion isolation system.
Do you want to know more?
Please contact us HERE.